Item 29: City View Zoning Motion

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Paige Ellis
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Item 29: City View Zoning Motion

Post by Paige Ellis »

Colleagues,

I want to share information on our work on the City View Zoning Case on Loop 360.

This case is at an intersection with many neighboring jurisdictions including TxDOT, City of Austin, Travis County, and the Lost Creek Limited District. We have had multiple meetings with neighbors both inside and outside the city limits, city staff, and the applicant to help shape the outcome. We have worked diligently with these stakeholders to identify and negotiate the solutions captured in the proposal before Council today.

Of particular concern has been traffic safety around the existing ingress/egress access points of the City View site. The property currently has 4 office buildings and is along a very high-speed highway that separates families from multiple schools. It is critical that these traffic issues be addressed, regardless of the zoning case.

While I have tried to pursue every available option to address traffic concerns, we’ve been advised making such a requirement on a case-by-case basis isn’t legally viable at the zoning stage. I have, however worked with city staff to create the following motion sheet for consideration of the Council:

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 123622.pdf

My intent is that with the approval of this zoning change, the subsequent site plan process will ensure the City, TxDOT, and our adjacent governmental partners will finally come together to make this stretch of 360 safer for all the residents, families, and students who travel here daily. I know the applicant is conscientious of these concerns as well and will be ready to help fund improvements at that time, as staff determines necessary and appropriate.

Thanks, and please let me know if I can help answer any questions.

Paige
Paige Ellis
City Council District 8