AG opinion on Austin Light Rail

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Kate Alexander

AG opinion on Austin Light Rail

Post by Kate Alexander »

Colleagues:
Attorney General Ken Paxton has issued the expedited opinion requested last week by Chairman Paul Bettencourt regarding Austin Light Rail. I'm posting both my statement in response as well as the statement from Austin Transit Partnership.

Mayor Watson Statement:
“The advisory opinion issued by the Attorney General today upholds the will of Austin voters and reinforces that the City of Austin’s tax ratification election in 2020 was conducted in full compliance with state law. I appreciate Chairman Bettencourt seeking this expedited opinion, which includes some additional guidance on the path forward for Austin Light Rail. This coming week, the board of the Austin Transit Partnership will take the next step to move ahead with a new light rail alignment and realizing the vision of Austin voters.”

Austin Transit Partnership Statement:
“Austin Transit Partnership is committed to fulfilling the will of the voters to implement Austin Light Rail. Per the Attorney General’s opinion, ATP, as a local government corporation, has the authority to issue bonds and notes and cities have the authority to transfer funds to it. ATP has always recognized there are many steps ahead in our financing process, and we will follow state law and take this opinion into consideration as we advance our financing.”

Thanks,
Kirk
Policy & Communications Strategist
Office of Mayor Watson