Library fines

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Kathie Tovo

Library fines

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Colleagues,
Today the Austin's Monitor published an article ("Library Commission pushes for fine-free books") about a recommendation that from our library commissioners to remove late fees for adult library users. Over the last multiple months, my office has been working with library commissioners, Austin Public Library staff & others to prepare a mid-year fee schedule amendment to implement this recommendation.

We are now working with city legal on the language, and I hope to bring this action forward in one of our next several meetings.

Best,
Kathie Tovo
Council District 9
Vanessa Fuentes

Re: Library fines

Post by Vanessa Fuentes »

CM Tovo,

Thanks for raising awareness to this issue. This is an area that my office has also been working on with the intention to bring the Library Commission’s recommendation forward next month. We will reach out to your office to coordinate efforts.

I believe strongly in the role our public libraries provide our communities. Fines are a barrier to access information, knowledge, and resources for those who need library services the most. I fully support the recommendation and look forward to working together on this policy.

Yours in community,
Vanessa
Council Member, District 2
Leslie Pool

Post by Leslie Pool »

CM Tovo, I'd like to join as a co-sponsor of the resolution you're drafting relating to the action our Library Commission has recommended. I would also like to take this opportunity to highlight funding for Austin's libraries and ensure we're supporting them sufficiently in our budget planning; your initiative will be a good time to highlight the immense value our libraries bring to our community.

Thanks.
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Paige Ellis

Post by Paige Ellis »

CM Tovo,

Thank you for bringing this item forward. I would like to be added as a cosponsor. Our District 8 library is well loved by our community, and I agree that fines may prevent people from accessing the books and other resources they need to further their education. I also appreciate the work CMs Fuentes and Pool have put into this topic.

Paige Ellis
Paige Ellis
City Council District 8