Request to examine APD body camera RFP before release

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Don Zimmerman

Request to examine APD body camera RFP before release

Post by Don Zimmerman »

Council Members:
Next week, APD is set to release the very important initial RFP for body cameras. The PSC contends that technical specifications for the cameras and associated storage equipment are directly connected to POLICY regarding camera use. I personally have made several requests that council members examine and are briefed on the RFP before it is release publicly. In response to this, I received the following communication for ACM Arellano:

"
At this point, the department is carrying out the administrative RFP process. I have confidence that APD will address as appropriate any technical concerns that may have been brought to light during the Public Safety Committee meetings. As you will recall, APD responded to a number of questions from Council Member Zimmerman in writing.

I would be happy to meet to discuss the matter further as well as provide a copy of the RFP once it has been released.

Sincerely,
Rey
Rey Arellano
Assistant City Manager
"

In this context, I offer the following Resolution:

RESOLUTION NO._________________ (DRAFT)

WHEREAS, the Austin City Council approved $3 million for a pilot program for body-worn cameras for the Austin Police Department; and

WHEREAS, the technology requested in a Request for Proposals (RFPs) may drive specific policy options including, but not limited to, how and when the cameras are turned on; and

WHEREAS, the Austin City Council should be the entity setting city policy, NOW, THEREFORE,

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF AUSTIN:

That the City Manager is directed to present any Request for Proposal (RFP) relating to police body-worn cameras before the Public Safety Committee and/or full Austin City Council before releasing the RFP to the public.
Don Zimmerman
Council Member District 6 (northwest Austin)