Reproductive Health Agenda

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Vanessa Fuentes

Reproductive Health Agenda

Post by Vanessa Fuentes »

Colleagues,

This week I began introducing a series of resolutions as part of the Fight Back for Reproductive Health Agenda. The recent directives by the Texas Legislature and the inevitable undoing of Roe v. Wade will present significant challenges for women, trans, and non-binary people to access the health and reproductive care they need. This goes against our values as a City, and our proposed Agenda will address gaps and provide certain protections and resources for our communities.

The two resolutions introduced this week would (1) direct our City Manager to ensure reproductive health decisions are protected from discrimination in employment and housing, and (2) provide free and accessible menstrual products in select city-owned facilities. As various state and national entities continue to encroach on and restrict reproductive freedom, it is our responsibility to do everything we can at the local level to defend reproductive rights.

Item 88 (Co-Sponsors: Council Member José 'Chito' Vela, Mayor Pro Tem Alison Alter, Council Member Paige Ellis, Mayor Steve Adler, and Council Member Pool was added as a co-sponsor during today’s Work Session) https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/docum ... ?id=383303

Item 89 (Co-Sponsors: Council Member Paige Ellis, Council Member Ann Kitchen, Council Member Kathie Tovo, Council Member Natasha Harper-Madison): https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/docum ... ?id=383305

I invite you to consider co-sponsoring these resolutions and attend our press conference on Thursday at 9 am in the City Hall atrium.

Yours in community,
Vanessa
Council Member, District 2
Jose Chito Vela

Re: Reproductive Health Agenda

Post by Jose Chito Vela »

CM Fuentes,

Your leadership on the issue of reproductive health is invaluable to our city. I am already a co-sponsor for item 88, but I would like to be added as a co-sponsor to item 89 as well. My commitment to reproductive health and freedom is unwavering, especially in light of recent national events.

The prospect of Roe V. Wade being overturned presents a huge step backwards for our country, and it's vital that we stand together to support our community during the hard times ahead. Thank you so much for putting these items forward.

Saludos,

Chito
Alison Alter

Re: Reproductive Health Agenda

Post by Alison Alter »

CM Fuentes,

Like CM Vela, I already am a co-sponsor of item 88 and would like to be added as a co-sponsor to item 89.

Thanks,
Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10